Winter will be here soon enough and midwestern runners are preparing for the upcoming running conditions.
Anne and Kate Pezalla, running coaches and owners of Oak Park's Lively Athletics (www.livelyrunning.com), have put together some helpful tips for running in the cold! Their top 5 tips are:
- DON'T RUN IN YOGA PANTS OK it seems like a good idea at the time, so why not? Wide bottom legs are why not. There is nothing worse than dragging the bottom of a wide leg pant through the slush, rain or snow.
- INVEST IN A WINTER RUNNING SHOE Many brands have a "winter edition" of your favorite shoe. Be sure to try a pair on. It is best to go up a ½ size from your regular shoe because you'll probably want to wear thicker running socks. On Running makes a winter version of their popular "Cloud Runner" for $169. Another great, and cost-effective version, is to buy trail shoes which can be worn year round.
- COVER YOUR HANDS Hands can turn numb and painful in a very short amount of time, ruining a run and putting runners at risk for frostbite. Kate and Anne recommend cheap run-of-the-mill kids' stretchy gloves. However, when the weather gets colder, it is best to invest in a proper winter running glove. Important features to look for in a glove are a tech tip for ease of use with your phone or music device. With degrees below 30, wind and water resistant material with a protective coating are a must.
- AVOID THE SLIP AND SLIDE Running out in the cold, especially with ice on the ground, can be a bit of a harrowing experience. Anne and Kate suggest Yak Trax. While they may look a bit intimidating, the design of the Yak Trax protects the runner from slipping and sliding. They also help runners protect their gate, as the runner doesn't have to "tip toe" around slippery snow.
- JOIN A RUNNING CLUB Getting out to run in the cold isn't easy, but having friends to run with can make all the difference in the world. There are tons of clubs out there for every kind of runner. For women near the Oak Park area, try Best Foot Forward http://bestfootforwardrunners.tumblr.com or, to find a club in your area, visit http://www.rrca.org/find-a-running-club/
Answer Book 2019
To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2019 Answer Book, please click here.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|