By Anna Lothson
You learn a lot being the local government reporter in a town like Oak Park. Sometimes it's dry; sometimes it's entertaining. Monday's village board meeting was both. Here's a roundup of my observations.
• Village President Anan Abu-Taleb recused himself for two liquor license votes. He promised he will do this for all liquor-related votes during his presidency due to owning Maya Del Sol.
• Abu-Taleb vowed during the campaign season that he wanted fewer and quicker meetings. He said he was proud the meeting ended by 10:30 p.m. (three hours plus a prior executive session).
• A resident spoke during public comment about her concerns regarding the village's ordinance for heating and air conditioning for apartment/condo building regulations during extreme heat in the spring months. The air conditioner kicked on in village hall during the middle of her comments. Trustees and the audience found this coincidence humorous.
• A local Girl Scouts group visited the meeting and lasted an hour. It was probably their bedtime. I was impressed with their patience.
• Village hall was busy so I decided to sit in the upstairs section of the board room. This gave me a new perspective of the trustees and their facial expressions/reactions to issues. Try it sometime. Drawback? The wireless didn't work as well.
• Many people were there for the public heath awards for cleanest restaurants. Lots of picture taking. Chef Paco of New Rebozo showed the most excitement with a double fist bump in the air and said his signature "Oh my god," phrase as his picture was taken with his award.
• Public comment about the idea of Meatless Mondays took up a good amount of time. Learned Trustee Adam Salzman is a vegetarian, except for the occasional lapse. Couldn't help feel guilty about the hamburger I gulped down just before the meeting.
• There is a single treadmill in a small odd-shaped area by the windows on the second floor seating section of village hall. I wonder who uses this?
Answer Book 2019
To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2019 Answer Book, please click here.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|