Pedestrian killed at Pleasant and Scoville

Updated:

By Bob Uphues

Riverside-Brookfield Landmark Editor

Oak Park police, assisted by the West Suburban Major Crash Unit, continue to investigate the death of a 62-year-old woman, who was struck by a pickup truck near the intersection of Pleasant Street and Scoville Avenue at about 8 a.m. on Dec. 26.

Police identified the victim as Oak Park resident Karen Daniel, who was pronounced dead at the scene. The 63-year-old Oak Park man who reportedly was behind the wheel of the Ford F150 pickup truck that struck Daniel was cited for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and failure to yield to a pedestrian.

According to police, the driver passed field sobriety tests and submitted to blood and urine testing.

A press release issued by the village on Thursday afternoon stated that a preliminary investigation indicated the truck was turning eastbound onto Pleasant Street from Scoville Avenue when it hit Daniel.

Anyone with information on the incident is being asked to contact Oak Park police at 708-386-3800 or provide info anonymously via the police tip line at 708-434-1636 or at oak-park.us/crimetip.

Contact:
Email: buphues@wjinc.com Twitter: @RBLandmark

Love the Journal?

Become our partner in independent community journalism

Thanks for turning to Wednesday Journal and RiverForest.com. We love our thousands of digital-only readers. Now though we're asking you to partner up in paying for our reporters and photographers who report this news. It had to happen, right?

On the plus side, we're giving you a simple way, and a better reason, to join in. We're now a non-profit -- Growing Community Media -- so your donation is tax deductible. And signing up for a monthly donation, or making a one-time donation, is fast and easy.

No threats from us. The news will be here. No paywalls or article countdowns. We're counting on an exquisite mix of civic enlightenment and mild shaming. Sort of like public radio.

Claim your bragging rights. Become a digital member.

Donate Now

Peter Landau from Oak Park

Posted: December 30th, 2019 9:13 PM

Sorry Tommy, you can't try to one-up me with the high ground with your statement about this woman's loss of life. That's what I'M saying - that this tragic death should not be in vain. You and others should hear what some of us are saying about how bad it is out there in our community - that we understand how this can happen because there is an alarming increase in reckless behavior by drivers. We are sharing our numerous stories about how bad it is. Instead of shaming us for pointing this out and expressing our frustration, you may just want to listen. There is no need to sanctimoniously point out the obvious - that unfortunately it is wild out there, that the laws be damned, that walking in our community is extremely dangerous.

Neal Buer

Posted: December 30th, 2019 6:23 PM

This is a horrible accident that everyone wishes did not happen. Drivers have to assume that pedestrians cannot see them. Pedestrians have to assume that drivers do not see them.

Tommy McCoy

Posted: December 30th, 2019 4:04 PM

Dave Slade I understand that frustrations takes place when a driver disapproves of another drivers driving habits. What happens is it turns the good driver into an emotional driver which creates a problem of remaining a cognizant driver. Keep your emotions intact and do not feel you need to reprimand another driver. That is not your job

Dave Slade from Oak Park

Posted: December 30th, 2019 2:24 PM

"This eight-sided red sign means STOP. A driver must make a complete stop at the stop line. If there is no stop line, the driver should stop before entering the crosswalk. If there is no crosswalk, the driver should stop before entering the intersection. A driver should yield the right of way to pedestrians and approaching traffic. At an all-way STOP sign, drivers should wait for their turn. If the STOP sign is a temporary sign erected by highway authorities, it should be treated as if it were a permanent STOP sign. If the STOP sign is handheld, the driver should stop until an authorized person, such as a school guard or construction zone flagger, signals that it is safe to proceed." (Illinois Rules of the Road). Pretty clear to me. Way too many drivers take this sign to mean "Yield". I stop for stop signs and call out those who don't. I've been sworn at, flipped off, cut off, and worse. One jackass actually followed me, driving in the wrong lane, and tried to cut me off several times. He drove right through the intersection at South Blvd and East.

Tommy McCoy

Posted: December 30th, 2019 10:23 AM

Peter Landau I understand what you are saying and I would comment more on this although this is about the loss of life that both of us do not know what caused the accident although if the driver was found to be at fault, there are also laws, and there is also living with what happened

Peter Landau from Oak Park

Posted: December 30th, 2019 9:04 AM

Tommy McCoy - you are clearly a big part of the problem. I am talking about cars breaking the law. Let me repeat that in big letters: BREAKING THE LAW. Unbelievably insane that you are saying it is my responsibility for drivers not stopping at stop signs and red lights. I am simply saying those drivers are WRONG. Do you get it? Probably not.

Melanie Weiss from Oak Park

Posted: December 30th, 2019 8:50 AM

I think we all deserve to know the name of the driver when the driver is the cause of a fatal accident.

Kevin Peppard

Posted: December 28th, 2019 4:04 PM

Molly Sackler: The incident does not show in the Police Activity reports online. They "cited" her, and did not arrest her, and there is no criminal charge at this point.

Earl Hickey

Posted: December 28th, 2019 1:22 PM

Molly Sackler I believe this publication did not publish the name of the driver because of the possibility that some people might misuse that information in order to harass or injure the driver. Why don't you contact the Oak Park Police Department and see if they will give it to you ? Of course that means the OPPD will be aware that you asked for it.

Molly Sackler from Oak Park

Posted: December 28th, 2019 10:03 AM

Why doesn't the Wednesday Journal publish the name of the driver who killed Karen Daniels? It is a matter of public record and the public ?" especially the walking public of Oak Park ?" deserves to know. My deep condolences to Karen Daniels' family and friends.

Tommy McCoy

Posted: December 27th, 2019 6:14 PM

Peter Landau having the right away does not mean you want to be dead right you had the right away. You obviously have not made visual contact with the driver's. If you did, and that car still tried running you over than you have a case to press. Make sure to identify the person, clothing, etc., the color and model of the vehicle and the license plate. A stop sign is a stop sign. It does not insure that a vehicle will stop. I do not know who taught you how to cross the street, although I always enjoy when a teenager before crossing in front of my vehicle will make visual contact because that tells me that teenager knows people make mistakes and is not counting on a cross walk or a cross light as a hundred percent right to cross. I am sad that a woman has lost her life, and I do not know the facts involved, and I do not think you do either. There have been clear causes of people being run down by a speeding car, and there have been cases of people just stepping off a curb in to the street. The investigative recreation team will work on all information and a determination will be made. Do me a favor since you seem to be having problems crossing the street. First stop at the curb. Look in 4 directions and as you cross, keep looking until you are safely on the other side of the street. Never assume a car or a stop sign or stop light has given you the right to cross without looking. Once again, I do not know the facts of this terrible accidents although lets learn how the rest of us can better learn how to cross a street

Laura Kitsos from oak park

Posted: December 27th, 2019 5:06 PM

This is a sad and tragic event-she was a mother, wife and community member that I'm sure will be very missed. My deepest condolences to her loved ones.

Peter Landau from Oak Park

Posted: December 27th, 2019 3:14 PM

First and foremost, I'm sad to hear of this great loss to our community. But also my blood is boiling about it. Tommy McCoy, clearly you are not walking around much in Oak Park. I have been hit (very low speed, fortunately) by two cars - one coming out of an alley and one rolling through a stop sign not seeing me crossing in front of them. I've also almost been mowed down many times by people who blow through stop signs. Just last week while crossing Oak Park at Jackson, while I was crossing with a walk sign, some guy barreled down the right lane to turn onto Jackson. Didn't slow down at all - I luckily paused in front of the car that was stopped at the red light to avoid my certain death. Almost every week when I walk to/from the Blue line stop I have a close call, and I'm always looking and have the right of way. This is so much worse than it was even 10 years ago. I don't know how enforcement will change anything. People are just getting more selfish and careless.

Kevin Byrnes

Posted: December 27th, 2019 1:56 PM

Without passing judgement, I note that there is an unseemly ratio of poor drivers out of the total driving population. If our airline pilots flew the way the overall average driving population drives, a lot more planes would be crashing. I'm a licensed appraiser, and am required to take continuing education to keep my license. The main thing this accomplishes is to remind professionals that they need to use due care to protect the public. Some form of this might not be inappropriate for renewing rivers licenses. I doubt we'd say that everyone drives so well that such a step couldn't help.

Julie Carpenter

Posted: December 27th, 2019 6:50 AM

So tragic. Deepest sympathies to the Daniel family.

Tommy McCoy

Posted: December 26th, 2019 10:19 PM

Terry Stanton none of my posts are being allowed although the proper way for a pedestrian to cross a street is to look for traffic coming from all directions. Make visual contact with the driver so you know the drive knows you are there. Then proceed to walk if and when it is clear to cross. Accidents happen and this is an unfortunate accident

Terry Stanton

Posted: December 26th, 2019 9:07 PM

Oak Park police refuse to enforce drivers who don't stop for pedestrians. Once again on Tuesday I was nearly run over by a car blowing through the prominently protected crosswalk on Oak Park Ave between Lake and North Blvd. I It would be very easy for police to observe these crosswalks and cite drivers who endanger pedestrians. They don't, and so we don't have a culture of yielding to pedestrians. More people will get killed. This was an unnecessary tragedy.

Tommy McCoy

Posted: December 26th, 2019 8:34 PM

Steve Brown It is not the speed a person is hit at, it is the area a person is hit at. Assuming the contact made to the pedestrian was enough to have the pedestrian fall, then it is likely the pedestrian hit the pavement at an angle that caused the loss of life. It is an unfortunate situation and the driver will now have to live with what happened

Steve Brown

Posted: December 26th, 2019 8:04 PM

As noted by the previous commenter, the article has been updated to report the driver was cited. But that wasn't really my original point, which is about the lack of enforcement of pedestrian right of way BEFORE someone gets killed. Very few drivers in this town routinely stop at crosswalks when pedestrians are present, and that culture of ignoring pedestrians is what leads to tragedies like this. It's also notable that, per the updated article, the driver was turning from scoville to Pleasant, meaning he had a stop sign. So, how is it possible that he came to a complete stop and still managed to accelerate to a speed sufficient to hit and kill a pedestrian right at the intersection? In light of that, the citation is a slap on the wrist. This was a reckless and totally preventable act.

Tommy McCoy

Posted: December 26th, 2019 7:37 PM

This is a very unfortunate situation that has happened. I have read that most everyone has jumped to conclusions without knowing the real facts. You can put up 4 way stop signs and you can put up speed cameras although accidents still happen. The way vehicles are made does not always give a clear view of pedestrians and requires drivers to be extra careful when turning. I have noticed pedestrians just walk into a street without looking for oncoming traffic to make sure the driver has made visual contact with the pedestrian. I am not putting any one at fault although I would not say I know any of the facts that caused this unfortunate situation to happen. The accident reconstruction team does exactly that, and determine from evidence what their best findings are instead of jumping to conclusions

Marty Bracco

Posted: December 26th, 2019 6:26 PM

This is near our house and is a terrible thing. An updated report on the Village website indicated the driver was, in fact, cited for failure to reduce speed to avoid and accident and failure to yield to a pedestrian. The victim and driver were both 62 year old Oak Park residents.

Steve Brown

Posted: December 26th, 2019 4:53 PM

Len, no one said otherwise. I know the law, probably better than you do, and my point still stands. When laws pertaining to motorists behavior go unenforced, as they do, the results are deadly.

Len Musielak

Posted: December 26th, 2019 4:27 PM

I really think that everyone who comments about what the law says should actually read the law. There are requirements for the pedestrian as well.

Jolyn Crawford

Posted: December 26th, 2019 4:20 PM

People drive too fast through Oak Park! We need more 2-4 way stops near DTOP...and speed cameras on the side streets.

Braham Ketcham

Posted: December 26th, 2019 4:14 PM

The story only mentions a pickup truck. Was there no driver? Shouldn't this story discuss the actual person who couldn't properly control their 2-ton deadly weapon?

Steve Brown

Posted: December 26th, 2019 3:07 PM

As long as Oak Park police continue to refuse even cursory enforcement of laws requiring motorists to stop for pedestrians, this will keep happening. People drive our neighborhood streets with a recklessness and disregard for public safety that is effectively endorsed by law enforcement. There is no way a pedestrian should ever be killed at an intersection like this. Also a fatality strongly suggests the driver was exceeding the 25 mph speed limit. But is anyone surprised the driver wasn't cited? I'm not.

Latest Comments