A woman's car was hijacked after a man hit her vehicle while she was driving along in the 1000 block of Lexington Street at 4:52 p.m., Oct. 22. When the woman got out of her vehicle to assess the damage from the minor accident, the man exited his vehicle and entered the woman's. The woman grabbed onto the man in an attempt to stop him taking her vehicle and was dragged several feet before she let go. A second offender drove off in the man's car.
Police describe the man as Black, about 20 years old, thin and around 5-feet-7-inches tall. He was last seen wearing a white and blue shirt with a blue facemask. Police reports have no description of the second offender. The estimated loss is unknown.
- Someone entered a residential garage through an unlocked side door and removed a RYOBI leaf blower, an air compressor, a drill, a Skil circular saw and a Snap-On power screwdriver in the 800 block of Linden Avenue between midnight and 11 p.m., Oct. 22. Estimated loss is $700.
- Someone broke a window of a parked vehicle and then removed a Ridgid mixing drill, a Ridgid impact drill, a Workforce impact drill, a DeWalt impact drill and a floor stapler between 1 a.m. and 9 a.m., Oct. 25 in the 1100 block of South Oak Park Avenue. The estimated loss is $850.
- Someone broke into a locked storage shed and took out a men's black 26-inch Schwinn bicycle between 4:20 p.m., Oct. 15 and 4:20 p.m., Oct. 21 in the 400 block of South Kenilworth Avenue. The estimated loss is $500.
Recovered stolen auto
The 2016 Honda Civic reported stolen Oct. 22 from Oak Park was recovered after it was involved in a crash in the 200 block of North Sacramento Avenue in Chicago at 11:25 a.m., Oct. 24. No apprehensions were made.
Motor vehicle theft
Someone removed a 2009 Toyota RAV4 that was parked in the 100 block of Harrison Street between 10 p.m., Oct. 18 and 8:15 a.m., Oct. 20. The estimated loss is $7,000.
- Someone cut the catalytic converter from a vehicle parked in the 800 block of Lexington Street between 5 p.m., Oct. 18 and 8 a.m., Oct. 19. Estimated loss is $500.
- Multiple packages were removed from a porch in the 500 block of Clarence Avenue between 7 a.m., Oct. 12 and 3 p.m., Oct. 14. Estimated loss is $2,100.
- Someone removed multiple packages containing a pair of Nike shoes, a foot scrubber and a sweater from a front porch in the 400 block of South Harvey Avenue between noon, Oct. 9 and 1:16 p.m., Oct. 20. The estimated loss is $225.
- A delivered package containing a Wahoo heart rate monitor was taken from the 200 block of North Kenilworth Avenue between 11:01 a.m. and 12:10 p.m., Oct. 21. The estimated loss is $50.
Criminal damage to property
- Someone threw a rock at a resident's window and damaged it in the 200 block of Chicago Avenue at 5:10 p.m., Oct. 20. Estimated damage is unknown.
- Someone punctured the front and rear passenger side tires of a vehicle parked in the 100 block of Forest Avenue between 4 p.m., Oct. 23 and 8:45 a.m., Oct. 24. The estimated damage is $230.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park Police Department, came from reports Oct. 19 – Oct. 26 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public's help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Stacey Sheridan
Answer Book 2019
To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2019 Answer Book, please click here.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|