River Forest homicide victim suspected of growing pot in Wisconsin garage

Green Lake County police assisting in investigation

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

By Jean Lotus

Contributing Reporter

A Wisconsin man shot and killed in River Forest on July 12 had a significant marijuana-growing operation in his garage in Green Lake County, the Green Lake County Sheriff's department said in a press release on Monday.

On July 12, as part of the River Forest homicide investigation, the Green Lake Sheriff's Department was contacted by the West Suburban Major Crimes Task Force  (WESTAF) to help investigate the shooting death of William S. Carlson, 60.

A sheriff's deputy went to Carlson's home on Kahl Road around 7 p.m. No one was home, but the deputy smelled raw cannabis coming from the garage and noticed vent pipes blowing from the garage and windows blacked out. 

After obtaining a search warrant, the sheriff's department reported recovering more than 25 live plants and more than 7.5 pounds of marijuana. Carlson was identified as a potential suspect in the ownership of the growing operation, according to police.

"The Green Lake County Sheriff's Office is currently working with River Forest, Illinois, officials to determine any other facts and circumstances associated to the homicide," the news release said.

Carlson reportedly was shot in the chest at close range with a shotgun by Matthew Watson, 24, in a home in the 100 block of Lathrop Avenue. Watson also is believed to have shot his mother, Susan Watson, 59, who remains hospitalized in stable condition.

Matthew Watson was killed by police after reportedly firing his shotgun as they responded to a 911 call made by Watson's mother. Two police officers suffered non-life threatening wounds in the shootout with Matthew Watson.

Neither law enforcement agency would comment on the relationship between Susan Watson, Matthew Watson and Carlson, but neighbors told Wednesday Journal Susan and Calrson were a couple.

The River Forest police have not released any information about the shooting other than a statement the afternoon of July 12. Deputy Chief James O'Shea characterized the shooting, which injured two officers, as an "ambush."

The Illinois State Police Public Integrity Task Force is investigating the death of Matthew Watson.

Reader Comments

3 Comments - Add Your Comment

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Comment Policy

Delfina Casa  

Posted: April 21st, 2017 6:50 AM

He and Susan Watson were both running the operation. They used Carlsons home as the grow house. Sue Watson was well aware of the grow, and contributed to it as much as Carlson

Maggie Klein  

Posted: July 24th, 2015 1:01 PM

It is relative to the entire story. Just because someone is deceased doesn't put an end to the investigation or story. On the contrary.

Gail Mran from Oak Park  

Posted: July 24th, 2015 8:02 AM

What is this relevant to? The man is deceased.

Facebook Connect

Answer Book 2017

To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2017 Answer Book, please click here.

Quick Links

Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.

MultimediaContact us
Submit Letter To The Editor
Place a Classified Ad

Classified Ad