A Chicago resident who said he'd arranged to purchase a cellphone from a man at the Shell gas station at 1 Harrison St. at 2:30 p.m. on July 6 was the victim of armed robbery, according to police.
One of three men who arrived at the scene entered the passenger side of the victim's vehicle and handed over an iPhone box. The victim paid for the phone at which point the offender displayed a black handgun in the waistband of his pants and then grabbed the phone out of the victim's hand.
The offender exited the vehicle and entered the driver's side of a blue or green four-door vehicle, possibly an Oldsmobile, which was occupied by his two accomplices.
They fled southbound on Austin. The estimated loss is $325.
Attempted aggravated robbery
An Oak Park man was the target of an attempted aggravated robbery in the 200 block of Harrison St. at 2:27 p.m. on July 5, according to Oak Park police.
The victim told police a man approached him and asked to use his cellphone. The victim refused and the offender threatened him, lifting his flannel shirt and exposing a plastic bag at his waistband.
The offender then fled northbound on Harvey Avenue. He was described as black, between the ages of 50 and 55, 5-foot-7 to 5-foot-8, 150 to 160 pounds and wearing a red baseball cap, and a gray flannel button-up shirt with short sleeves and jeans.
- A 20-inch potted plant was stolen from the front porch of a residence in the 1100 block of South Taylor Avenue sometime between noon on July 2 and 9 a.m. on July 3. The estimated loss was $50.
- A black Weber 22-inch grill was stolen from the backyard of a residence in the 700 block of North Oak Park Avenue sometime between 7 p.m. on July 3 and 11:15 a.m. on July 4. The estimated loss is $100.
- Various office furniture, equipment and appliances, computer equipment and office/kitchen supplies were stolen from a furnished office space in the 6400 block of West North Avenue on June 28. The estimated loss is $6,400.
Recovered stolen auto
- A silver 2017 Honda Accord 4DR, which was reported stolen on June 28, was recovered parked and unattended in the 800 block of North Lawndale in Chicago at 4:45 p.m. on July 3.
- A blue 2010 Mazda C9 that was reported stolen on June 28, was recovered by the Chicago Police Department in the 1100 block of North Lorel Avenue in Chicago at 12:45 p.m. on June 29.
- A white 2015 Nissan Rogue reported stolen on June 24, was recovered by the Chicago Police Department in the 5200 block of West Race in Chicago at 1:22 p.m. on June 29.
- A residence in the 400 block of Greenfield was burglarized sometime between 11 p.m. on July 3 and 7 a.m. on July 4. The offender entered through an open kitchen window and stole a silver Apple desktop computer, a black iPhone 6, a gray wallet with credit cards and ID and car keys from a rear home office area.
The offender then stole a Blue Infiniti G25 that was parked in the driveway. The estimated loss is $20,550.
- A residence in the 800 block of South Clinton Avenue was burglarized sometime between 1:30 p.m. on July 3 and 8:20 p.m. on July 4. The offender entered through a closed but unlocked front window and then broke into and ransacked a small locked safe but left the contents behind.
The offender stole a pair of earrings, a pair of Bose headphones, a pink jewelry box containing miscellaneous jewelry, an Xbox 360 and two Canon digital cameras. The estimated loss is $1,500.
- A residence in the 1200 block of Rossell Avenue was burglarized sometime between 10 p.m. on July 4 and 7:30 a.m. on July 5. The offender possibly gained entry to the residence by means of an unlocked rear door and stole a silver Macbook Air and a black iPhone 6. The estimated loss is $2,100.
Burglary to auto
- Mario Frazier, 21, of the 1600 block of West 57th St. in Chicago, and Marcel Howard, 20, of the 6700 block of South Peoria in Chicago, were arrested at 2 a.m. in the 400 block of Washington on July 4, and charged with auto burglary for three separate cases that occurred in the 400 block of South Wesley Avenue, 700 block of Pleasant Street and 600 block of Randolph Street in Oak Park.
- A gold 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette was burglarized on Erie Court at West Suburban Hospital sometime between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. on June 26. The offender ransacked the interior and stole a red and silver Craftsman car tire pump, a pair of black sunglasses, a miscellaneous hand tool and approximately three blue shop towels. The estimated loss is $135.
- A garage was burglarized in the 1200 block of Rossell Avenue sometime between 7:30 p.m. on July 4 and 6:19 a.m. on July 5. The burglar entered by removing a louver window and stole a Husqvarna leaf blower and a Black & Decker weed whacker. They also gained entry to a shed by breaking a padlock and stealing a 21-speed teal 17-inche Trek FX 4 bicycle by cutting the cable lock. The estimated loss is $1,170.
- A garage was burglarized in the 1200 block of Rossell Avenue sometime between 6 p.m. on July 4 and 8 a.m. on July 5. The offender stole various construction tools valued at $1,500.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park and River Forest police departments, came from reports, June 26-July 6, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public's help in making an arrest.
— Compiled by Timothy Inklebarger
Answer Book 2017
To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2017 Answer Book, please click here.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|