An Oak Park man was robbed in the 200 block of Home Avenue sometime between 11 p.m. and midnight on March 1.
A man in his 20s approached the victim, grabbed his Samsung S7 cell phone, struck him and fled in an unknown direction.
- A FedEx package containing a bronze grab bar bathtub accessory was stolen from a residence in the 300 block of South Euclid Avenue sometime between 5:30 and 6 p.m. on March 8. The estimated loss is $50.
- An unattended blue-and-pink wallet containing credit cards and various gift cards was stolen from a changing room at a business in the 400 block of North Harlem Avenue at around 8:15 p.m. on March 9.
- A 40-year-old Chicago man was arrested at Target, 1129 Lake St., at 5:27 p.m. on March 10 and charged with retail theft.
- A cashier's check for $19,000 was reported stolen from an Oak Park resident's jacket pocket in the 100 block of Madison Street sometime between 7 p.m. on March 7 and 6:15 a.m. on March 8.
- A package containing an assortment of vitamins was stolen from the front porch of a residence in the 100 block of South Wesley Avenue at about 4:35 p.m. on March 8.
- A 45-year-old Oak Park man was arrested at the Shell gas station, 401 Madison St., at 2:16 a.m. on March 8 and charged with retail theft.
- Two air-conditioning units were stolen from the south side of a residence in the 100 block of South Scoville Avenue sometime between 4:30 p.m. on March 5 and 7:15 a.m. on March 6.
- A black 2014 Chevrolet Impala that was reported stolen on Feb. 5 was recovered by the Chicago Police Department in the 400 block of West 79th Place in Chicago at 1:33 a.m. on March 5. Two subjects were apprehended.
- A vehicle was burglarized in the 1000 block of South Grove Avenue sometime between 3 p.m. on March 1 and 7:30 a.m. on March 8. The offender entered through an unlocked door and ransacked the interior. No loss reported.
- A vehicle parked in a garage in the 500 block of North Ridgeland Avenue was burglarized sometime between 12:15 and 5 p.m. on March 9. The offender entered the garage through an unlocked side service door and then gained entry to the unlocked vehicle and took a Canon 100 F28D camera and various children's books. The estimated loss is $1,053.
- Two garages were burglarized in the 100 block of South Ridgeland Avenue on March 11. On took place sometime between 1:40 and 2:05 a.m. Two offenders entered the secured garage, which was shared by two residents, by unknown means and then cut a cable bike lock to remove a men's black-and-white Raleigh "Revenio" 8-speed racing bike. The estimated loss is $800.
Both men were described as black, in their 30s, 5-foot-7, with medium builds and wearing black goatees. One wore a red knit hat, a navy blue jacket, a gray hood shirt, dark pants and dark Nike shoes. The other man wore a two-toned jacket, a hooded shirt and jeans.
A second garage was burglarized in the 100 block of South Ridgeland sometime between 2 p.m. on March 10 and 2 p.m. on March 11. The burglar was described as black, approximately 50 years old, with a thin build and facial hair. He also wore a red knit hat, a dark blue coat, dark brown khakis and black shoes.
He gained entry by unknown means and stole two Bontrager tires and bike accessories. The estimated loss is $240.
- A residence was burglarized in the 1200 block of Rossell Avenue sometime between 11 p.m. on March 6 and 3:54 a.m. on March 7. The offender entered through an unlocked side door and took a MacBook Pro computer, a Hitachi computer, an iPhone 7, a USB charger and an Amazon Alexa. The estimated loss is $4,690.
- A residence under construction in the 1100 block of Miller Street was burglarized sometime between 5:30 p.m. on Feb. 28 and 4 p.m. on March 7. The burglar removed a basement furnace and air-conditioning condenser unit. The estimated loss was unknown at the time of the report.
- A storage basement was burglarized in the 700 block of Erie Street sometime between noon on Feb. 6 and 9 a.m. on March 3. The offender removed a key from a lockbox to gain entry to the storage basement and stole a black Koma Coco women's hybrid bicycle. The estimated loss is $800.
- A truck was burglarized in the 900 block of Wenonah Avenue sometime between 11 a.m. on March 4 and 7:15 a.m. on March 6. The offender pried open the tailgate lock and then stole an SPX radio detection utility transmitter and receiver. The estimated loss is $8,000.
- A projectile, likely from a BB-gun, damaged the windshield of a vehicle in the 1300 block of North Harlem Avenue sometime between 11:15 p.m. on March 10 and 6:45 a.m. on March 11. The estimated damage is $300.
- Someone slashed the rear tires to a vehicle parked in the 600 block of Wisconsin Avenue sometime between 9:30 p.m. on March 6 and 7:15 a.m. on March 7. The estimated loss is $100.
- Someone punctured two tires on a victim's vehicle parked in the 200 block of North Grove Avenue sometime between 6 p.m. on March 5 and 7:23 a.m. on March 6. The estimated loss is $200.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park and River Forest police departments, came from reports, March 1-11, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public's help in making an arrest.
Compiled by Timothy Inklebarger
Answer Book 2017
To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2017 Answer Book, please click here.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|