Armed carjacking attempt on North Kenilworth

Victim might have triggered keyless ignition system to prevent theft

By Timothy Inklebarger

Staff Reporter

A man brandishing a handgun ordered a woman from her vehicle in the 1100 block of North Kenilworth Avenue on Wednesday, Jan. 17, but he failed to drive off with the car, according to a police report.

The victim was waiting in her vehicle at about 6:30 p.m., when a small, dark vehicle pulled past her and stopped.

A masked man with a handgun exited and approached the victim and ordered her from the car.

The victim complied and ran toward the rear of her home where a relative waited in a different vehicle. The two drove off and called the police.

After returning to the residence, her vehicle was still there. Police report that the woman might have accidently turned off the ignition with her keyless ignition system, known as a fob.

Without the fob the carjacker would not have been able to turn on the car.

The victim could not describe the race of the man but described him as about 5-foot-9, with a medium build and wore dark clothing and a mask. The victim could not describe the vehicle or the man's accomplice.

Those with information can contact the police at 708-386-3800 or provide anonymous tips by calling 708-434-1636 or online www.oakpark.us/crimetip.

CONTACT: tim@oakpark.com

Kline Maureen

Posted: January 19th, 2018 11:49 AM

These incidents have also made me more aware of walking in my neighborhood - I've always felt lucky to live in central OP not too far from the library, post office, DTOP and OP Ave. I needed to go to the library last night to pick up a book. My husband was concerned that I shouldn't walk there and said he'd drive me and wait for me. Somewhat jokingly I said I'd be more concerned that he'd be the one to get car-jacked and it was better if I just walked. Which I did, and it was fine - - but it is sort of upsetting that we even have to think so hard about what should be such simple things.

Geri Bensen

Posted: January 18th, 2018 11:34 PM

These sort of incidents have made me more aware to not sit in my running vehicle to wait for someone or to finish a phone conversation when I arrive home. As soon as I get home & stop the car, I get out and go inside. I do see many people sitting in their cars talking on their phone & unaware of their surroundings. It's sad but true that we have to always be vigilant.

Neal Buer from Oak Park

Posted: January 18th, 2018 9:23 PM

Throw your keys one direction, and run the other direction.

Judy Steed from River Forest

Posted: January 18th, 2018 6:46 PM

Wondering if it would be a good idea to lay on the horn if someone tries to carjack you? My thought is that they would panic and run, but worry that they might panic and shoot. Any thoughts about this?

Brent Borgerson

Posted: January 18th, 2018 4:59 PM

Amanda, a stun gin is good, I prefer a stun rum though!

Jim McDonald

Posted: January 18th, 2018 4:24 PM

Call in the Guardian Angels.

Amanda Poppenk Massie from OAK park

Posted: January 18th, 2018 12:55 PM

It's now twice or more a week. Feeling lie I need to carry a stun gin

Peter Saltzman

Posted: January 18th, 2018 11:25 AM

This is becoming an epidemic. How exactly do the police and community handle this without becoming overly paranoid and resorting to profiling? Community watch groups? I have no idea...

Answer Book 2018

To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2018 Answer Book, please click here.

Classified Ad